This page provides advice and information about support available to UQ staff and students. It will be updated daily, or more regularly if required.

Updated Wednesday 7 February 2020 at 11.10am (AEST)

Recent updates

Key advice from the Australian Government

  • From 1 February 2020, Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family (dependents, legal guardians and spouses) returning from mainland China, or transiting through mainland China, will be allowed to enter Australia but must isolate for 14 days
  • All other travellers from mainland China, or transiting through mainland China, on or after 1 February 2020, will not be permitted entry to Australia until 14 days after they have left, or transited through, mainland China.
  • Australians are advised not to travel to mainland China.

The isolation requirements for universities are:

  • If you have travelled from the Hubei province in the past 14 days you must isolate for 14 days from the day you left the province
  • If you are already in Australia but have travelled recently from mainland China or transited through mainland China prior to Saturday 1 February you do not need to self-isolate
  • Travellers from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan, unless they have been in the Hubei province in the past 14 days or in any part of mainland China on or after 1 February, do not need to self-isolate
  • You must isolate for 14 days if you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus from the last date of contact.

Information for UQ students

If you are a student impacted by the restrictions, register with Student Services. The University is working on options to support your studies. The options will be different depending on your program.

Information for UQ staff

If you are a UQ staff member and are impacted by any of the restrictions please advise your supervisor, who will in turn will work with you to provide the necessary support.

We have suspended all university travel to mainland China until further notice. Read information for UQ travellers.

Information for our community

We understand that this is a worrying time for many in our community. We want to assure our staff and students that there are many teams across UQ working as quickly as possible to respond to the changes, and plan for other possibilities.

Our incident management group, led by Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Peter Høj, is monitoring developments closely and is meeting daily to consider any developments and potential impacts on our community and operations. We will continue to update staff and students as new information becomes available.

We ask that everyone observes the advice from government to prevent the virus from spreading.

Learn more about coronavirus including symptoms and how to protect yourself


Due to travel restrictions, I’m not sure if I can return to Brisbane to start classes on 24 February. What can I do?

In the vast majority of cases, students will be permitted to commence classes up to 2 weeks after the start of semester (Monday 9 March). We are investigating online delivery of course content in Semester 1 to support students who may not be able to join us on campus in time for Week 1.

Should I still enrol in my courses despite the travel restrictions?

Yes! This information will help us consider options to enable you to continue with your studies until you are able to travel to Brisbane or join  us on campus – which we know is your preference.

Should I tell my course coordinator or faculty if I'm not arriving?

Please register online and our Students Services team will notify the necessary parts of The University. They will also be in contact with you to look at alternative options to support your studies.

I have an exam or an assessment deadline – what do I do?

If you are unable to sit your exam due to travel restrictions, get to your exam or submit your assessment please email

I am a UQ student impacted by the restrictions – what should I do?

The University is working on options if students are unable to start on time, as planned. Depending on your program and courses, the options will be different. If you expect the coronavirus restrictions to impact your Semester 1 start, please register here with Student Services, and they will work with you to look at alternative options to support your studies.

I live in student accommodation. How do I know if the accommodation is safe?

UQ has been in contact with approved providers of student accommodation (on and off campus) to ensure that they have suitable precautions and protocols in place should there be any concern about the health of a resident.

If you have any questions or concerns about your approved provider please contact Student Services on +61 (07) 3365 1704 or email


I am worried about my family and friends in China. Who can I talk to?

Students who are concerned for themselves or their family can access more information on my.UQ

Students can also access support through Student Advisers or Counselling, either in person or via Skype. You can make an appointment online.

If you are a staff member who requires support, UQ offers a free, confidential counselling service through Benestar, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

What should I do about student placements?

The following advice applies to UQ students who have commenced, or are about to commence their placement.

If you have been in Hubei Province, China within the last 14 days, you must:

  • cease, or do not commence your placement
  • inform your placement supervisor
  • you will not be able to attend campus and must follow self-isolation protocols.

Students on placements in clinical settings or where there are high risk groups who have visited or transited through mainland China (including Hong Kong,) but have not been in the Hubei Province within the last 14 days must:

  • cease, or do not commence your placement
  • inform your placement supervisor, and
  • continue to attend campus.

Students in the second group (above) are only required to self-isolate for the first 14 days after they arrive in Australia.  They are able to continue with academic studies in settings that are not high risk.

We have advised our placement partners of these arrangements.

When will I know if I can come to Australia?

The travel restrictions are being reviewed constantly. Please continue to check the Department of Home Affairs.

What is the current UQ Advice to students?

This is located here. Please check this information daily as advice may change.

I have booked accommodation and I cannot get there.

This is an agreement between you and the provider of accommodation but if you have booked through a provider listed on our website, they understand the restrictions and will work with you to identify options for you. Student Services can assist you with this (t: + 61 (07) 3365 1704 / e:

I have accrued extra costs in my travel to come to Australia, what can I do?

This should be followed up in the first instance with your insurance company. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please contact our student advisers to explore financial assistance.

I have booked airport pickup, but I can no longer travel to Australia - do I need to cancel my service?

Yes, please log on to the booking and cancel the service. You can then re-book when your travel is rearranged.

What should I do if I am showing symptoms of the coronavirus or been in close contact with a confirmed case of the coronavirus?

Any members of the UQ community who are in Australia and showing symptoms should contact their General Practitioner (doctor) or a health professional, so that any appropriate precautionary measures can be taken regarding treatment. We suggest you phone ahead, explaining your symptoms and travel history, rather than attending in person.

UQ Health Care can be contacted for appointments. Their team of GPs, nurses, allied health professionals and specialists provide care across our five medical clinics in Ipswich, Annerley, Meadowbrook, St Lucia and Gatton.

  • St Lucia: (07) 3365 6210
  • Gatton: (07) 5460 1396
  • Annerley / PACE: (07) 3346 1122
  • Ipswich: (07) 3381 1800
  • Meadowbrook: (07) 3489 9400

Out of hours care can be obtained at your local Emergency Department (call ‘000’).

To keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, you should practice good hygiene by covering your coughs and sneezes and washing your hands thoroughly, for at least 20 seconds with soap and water. You should also clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.


I'm not sure if I will be able to participate in university this semester. Should I pay my fees now?

Please progress with your enrolment. Fees are not due until 6 March. We are exploring options for delayed starts to semester one and online delivery for students that cannot get to Brisbane. We will update you on the options before your fees are due.

Who can I contact at UQ if I have questions?

Students can contact Student Services if they have questions or concerns about starting at or returning to UQ in February. The Student Services team will continue to monitor the situation and give further advice to students who may be concerned.

If you are a UQ Staff member and are impacted by any of the restrictions you should advise your supervisor, who will in turn notify HR. For general question, you can contact the Health, Safety and Wellness Division at


Will study/key dates change?

At this stage no; Semester 1 timetables have not changed. Please refer to the academic calendar for key dates.


I am travelling back from overseas via China? Do I change my plans?

From 1 February 2020, only Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family (dependents, legal guardians and spouses) will be able to enter Australia within 14 days of visiting or transiting through mainland China.

All other travellers from mainland China, or transiting through mainland China, on or after 1 February 2020, will not be permitted entry to Australia until 14 days after they have left, or transited through, mainland China.

Read the latest government advice on travel here. For non-UQ travel advice contact your travel agent or airline.

For the latest advice on UQ approved travel click here.

I’m a Homestay Host – what do I need to do if a student is sick within 14 days of being in mainland China?

If a student develops mild symptoms, they should:

  • isolate themselves in a single room away from others and seek an urgent medical review;
  • when possible, isolate themselves at home while waiting for results of the assessment;
  • call a doctor or hospital ahead of time and tell them they may have a coronavirus infection; and
  • tell the doctor’s clinic or hospital again when they arrive that they may have coronavirus.

If the student has severe symptoms, such as shortness of breath:

  • call ‘000’ and request an ambulance; and
  • inform the paramedics that the student/staff may have coronavirus.

What support will the university provide while I am in isolation?

Our Student Services team can be contacted 24/7 if you require support and advice while you are in isolation. Click here to contact our team.

Should I wear a face mask?

There is no indication or evidence that masks are needed in day-to-day activities around UQ or while using public transport.

Queensland Health advises that only people who have returned from mainland China, are unwell and have access to a face mask should use one. A face mask is not necessary for anyone who does not have symptoms.

Within a health care setting, P2 masks are likely to provide some protection against the virus for anyone in close contact with a person with symptoms.

Medical contacts

If you need urgent medical advice call 000.

  • Coronavirus Health Information Line 1800 020 080
    (8:30am to 5:30pm (AEST) Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm Saturday, 9am to 5pm Sunday)
  • Healthdirect hotline: 1800 022 222 (staffed by registered nurses 24/7)
  • Contact a UQ Health Care clinic for an appointment

More information

Department of Health

World Health Organisation


Department of Education

Information for: