I’m an accommodation provider or Homestay Host – what do I need to do if a student is sick within 14 days of being in mainland China?

If a student develops mild symptoms, they should:

  • isolate themselves in a single room away from others and seek an urgent medical review;
  • when possible, isolate themselves at home while waiting for results of the assessment;
  • call a doctor or hospital ahead of time and tell them they may have a coronavirus infection; and
  • tell the doctor’s clinic or hospital again when they arrive that they may have COVID-19.

If the student has severe symptoms, such as shortness of breath:

  • call ‘000’ and request an ambulance; and
  • inform the paramedics that the student/staff may have COVID-19 (coronavirus).

Should I wear a face mask?

There is no indication or evidence that masks are needed in day-to-day activities around UQ or while using public transport.

Queensland Health advises that only people who have returned from mainland China, are unwell and have access to a face mask should use one. A face mask is not necessary for anyone who does not have symptoms.

Within a health care setting, P2 masks are likely to provide some protection against the virus for anyone in close contact with a person with symptoms.

I live in student accommodation. How do I know if the accommodation is safe?

UQ has been in contact with approved providers of student accommodation (on and off campus) to ensure that they have suitable precautions and protocols in place should there be any concern about the health of a resident.

If you have any questions or concerns about your approved provider please contact Student Services on +61 (07) 3365 1704 or email student.services@uq.edu.au.

I have booked accommodation and I cannot get there.

This is an agreement between you and the provider of accommodation but if you have booked through a provider listed on our website, they understand the restrictions and will work with you to identify options for you. Student Services can assist you with this (t: + 61 (07) 3365 1704 / e: student.services@uq.edu.au).

I have signed a lease but due to the travel restrictions I need to break or change my lease. What can I do?

UQ advises you to get in touch with your Landlord or Property Manager to discuss your situation with them and try to arrange a mutually convenient outcome.

I have contacted my Landlord / Property Manager but they are not willing to negotiate a break or change to the lease. What can I do?

According to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website, Landlords / Property Managers are allowed to seek reasonable compensation costs from you if you break the agreement early.

If the Landlord / Property Manager is not willing to negotiate after you have made contact, you can seek further support from the Student Services Accommodation Team. Contact the team by emailing accommodation@uq.edu.au

I don’t feel confident directly contacting the Landlord / Property Manager to cancel or change my lease.

If making direct contact with your Landlord or Property Manager is too difficult, UQ may be able to contact them on your behalf. Please contact a member of our accommodation team to request support by emailing accommodation@uq.edu.au

What compensation might I be asked to pay if I break or change my lease?

If you break the agreement early Landlords / Property Managers can request you pay costs to cover the loss of rent until the property is re-let; or until the end of the tenancy agreement; or to cover re-letting advertising costs.

UQ recommends that compensation is discussed between yourself and the Landlord / Property Manager. More information can be found from the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website.

My lease states there are penalty fees if the agreement is breached.

It is important your agreement does not include conditions that require you to pay a penalty fee (or fine) if you breach the agreement. Any terms in an agreement about penalty fees are void.

For more information, you can go to the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website or The Queensland State-wide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (Qstars).

I want my bond back. What can I do?

As you have a lease agreement, you have probably paid a bond. When you pay a bond, the person you pay this money to must lodge your bond with the RTA (Residential Tenancies Authority). The RTA will send you an official receipt when they receive your bond money. If you don’t receive a receipt, call the RTA to see if your bond has been lodged.

The RTA advises the quickest and easiest way to get a bond refund is for the tenant and the property manager / owner to reach agreement about how the bond is to be paid out.

If you don’t follow the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement the Landlord or Property Manager can claim money from your bond at the end of the tenancy. If no agreement can be made and there is a dispute over the bond, either party, tenant or Landlord / Property Manager can claim the bond by lodging a FORM 4 with the RTA with only their signature on it. This is a disputed bond claim.

I am a returning student and all of my belongings are in the property.

If you have personal possessions in rental accommodation, speak with the Landlord or Property Manager and ask if they can arrange to have your belongings put into storage (there will be a cost you need to pay associated with this).

If I cancel my accommodation, will there be somewhere for me to stay when I can come to Australia?

The Accommodation team at UQ can support you with short term, last minute accommodation if you need support.

Get in touch by emailing: accommodation@uq.edu.au.

I’m really not sure what to do about my accommodation. Who can help?

The accommodation team at UQ are here to support you with your questions and provide advice. Please get in touch by emailing accommodation@uq.edu.au. Tenancy advice can also be found by visiting https://my.uq.edu.au/information-and-services/student-support/accommodation/about-accommodation/tenancy-advice.

We also suggest seeking advice from the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) via their website, https://www.rta.qld.gov.au who can provide tenancy information and support. Additional contact details for the RTA can be found on their website.

The Queensland State-wide Tenant Advice and Referral Service (Qstars) is a free, independent advice and referral service for all Queensland renters. Their website contains information and advice for tenants along with other channels for making contact https://qstars.org.au/.